Monday, July 30, 2007

Social Networking trial

I seem to be the only person in class who is a actual user for both Myspace and Facebook...

When I was in high school Myspace was the cool place to be online, all of my friends could not wait to get on Facebook when we got to college however...

Oddly enough, that seems to be exactly what Danah Boyd is saying in the article
http://www.danah.org/papers/essays/ClassDivisions.html

I had two rather distinct circles of friends in high school, finding someone who is the captain of their school's football team and is in all advanced placement classes is somewhat rare as I understand it...

All of my football buddies have stayed on myspace, while my AP class friends have moved on to Facebook. While many of my friends maintain accounts on both sites, you can definitely see who favors which site.

Being somewhat OCD and weird, I always kept my Myspace page very bland, almost as vanilla as I could get it, I too was bothered by the extreme 'editableness' of myspace. People who had no web design experience would just grab chunks of HTML from 'Myspace customizer' sites and chuck it in their pages. I was never really into browsing through peoples profiles, but after I graduated I really found Myspace a useful tool for keeping up with friends. As we all moved out of high school and stuck our foot in the real world many of my friends dropped their "WLFootballer, or CheerHottie" email addresses for something a bit more adult. Instead of keeping track of email addresses I could always find them on Myspace. I never did much searching for people, just about all of my friends found me, but none the less I still keep my Myspace page up and check in every day.

When I started working at OCC as a student worker I received an @oaklandcc.edu email address, I was able to get on Facebook before nearly anyone else at OCC. Facebook used to just be for college students, until they wanted a piece of the Myspace market. I really enjoy using Facebook much more than Myspace, my favorite feature, which oddly enough caused quite an uproar, was the news feed. Facebook always used to track when people updated their profile, and you could search your friends list for the most recently updated profile, but the news field aggregates all of the changes onto your main page so you can log in and within minutes see all the changes and pictures and notes your friends have been busy creating. Facebook is very good at searching for friends, people (used to) feel safe putting full names on Facebook because it was a college student only website. My wife has found dozens of friends as she has the most amazing memory for names and faces. Again, I had most of my friends find me, but I did browse through my friend's friends list to find other friends on mine. I am not a big fan of the recent opening of Facebook to these custom written applications.

I use both Facebook and Myspace and probably will continue to use both for quite some time. Even if I can just send emails, this is slightly more fun...

Who doesn't want Chocolate Rain to play when they try and send me an email anyway!

http://myspace.com/andurn

No comments:

Post a Comment